Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Is it still safe for kids to walk to school?

Is it still safe for kids to walk to school alone? That was CityOnline's lunch hour survey today. I didn't catch the results of the phone poll but judging by what people were saying on the phone, the opinion is overwhelmingly NO. Many people called in saying kids could be snatched at any time, that streets are not as safe as they were 10 years ago, and that there are hundreds of pedophiles in the city. 

I have to say I haven't done any research on the subject but all I could think was "fear mongering". I think there is a risk, no doubt but not a prevalent one. 

I really don't believe that crime has increased, I think it's been the opposite. That said, it may rise again in the face of a recession. Certainly the number of crime dramas on television have increased which may be contributing to a perception of increased crime. 

There is also a periphery story at play here, childhood obesity. Seriously. Fewer kids are walking to school, they're getting a ride from their parents instead. 

When it's time for Petra to go to school, I'll rely on the buddy system and teach her about potential dangers that she'll face. It's the only way to prepare her for later stabs at independence like: public transportation, summer camp, and sports teams. Basically anything out of the house and out of my sight. 

8 comments:

  1. i couldn't agree with you more gina, that is plain and simple fear mongering

    i think it's so sad that a lot of kids don't get to ride their bikes everywhere like we used to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't mention that they were running the poll based on a story of an attempted abduction of a girl. on the 6 o'clock news they said the girl made the whole story up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooooo you must read "Under Pressure - Rescuing our children from the culture of hyperparenting" by Carl Honore (the same guy who wrote the award-winning "in praise of slow"). It puts this exact topic in a broader context and links it up to all kinds of related hyperparenting issues. I lent my copy out already but if I get it back when you come to town you can borrow it if ya' want.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owen will definitely be walking to school when the time comes. Maybe he and Petra can walk together :) Have you checked out the blog http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/ ? It's all about this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen that blog but I couldn't remember the address. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Children need to learn to observe behavior and also to be taught that adults can be wrong and/or bad.
    They need to know that they say no to anyone that invades their personal space.
    Teaching fear stops thinking and creates a sense of being out of control.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. Mac Miller Merch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. garment manufacturing

    ReplyDelete