Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Black Tie Welcome

Normally 'Black Tie Welcome' on a wedding invitation would get me totally jazzed. Pick out an outfit, jewelry, purse, shoes - fun! But a breastfeeding, postpartum mom?? Ha! I had two weddings to go to last year while I was pregnant, both in the first trimester. Dressing for those was only a bit of challenge because of widening hips and a thickening waist but not even close to the nearly impossible task of dressing a nursing mom.

Nothing fits properly. Your chest is not the size it once was. Your waistline, if you're anything like me, has not receded to previous levels yet. Your daughter needs to eat and needs to access your bosom to do so. And you may get drool, milk, spit-up, or all of the above on your dress.

It means dress material, cut, and accessibility matter in ways they never did before. You're more limited in undergarments too. 

So on Saturday, I've got a 'Black Tie Welcome' wedding to attend. One that has a 5 hour break between the ceremony and reception, which usually means costume change. So what's this breastfeeding momma to do? 

I'm going to wear my blue silk dress. It's button down in the front, is generous proportioned, fitted in the ribcage, and will hide my nursing bra - perfect. And the reception? A strapless, champagne coloured, crepe, cocktail dress with a beautiful borrowed wrap. The dress is a bit of a squeeze but with a bustier will be just fine.

So what about the spit-ups, drool, etc.? Emil will carry the baby... and the diaper bag too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment