Monday, January 26, 2009

Immunizations

Here we are again, talking about vaccinations. Today I took Petra for her six month vax at nine months. She was absolutely, perfectly, mercifully fine afterwards. She didn't sleep for an extra spell, she didn't run a fever, she wasn't grumpy, it was business as usual in baby land. 

I felt like a dolt getting ready though. I couldn't remember if it was best to dress her in two pieces, in a onesie and pants, or in a sleeper, my brain was just not cooperating. It's amazing how three maternity-leave-months can feel like two weeks or they can feel like a year. I felt like I had never taken her to the doctor before. I didn't know where to park or how early to leave. 

The truth is there is no good way to do vaccinations. If you think you've figured it out for one visit, it'll change for the next because babies change so much. I like the way the books and websites suggest avoiding nap times as if I would know three months in advance what Petra's nap schedule is going to be like. 

My approach is survival. I dress her as minimally as possible based on the weather, I double check with the doctor that everything else is done before we poke her, I bring her soother to keep her still for a moment or two during the prick, and I try to remain calm.

Oh and apparently my big girl is not that big. She's just shy of 90th percentile for height and slightly lower than 75th for weight.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Petra has it down pat. If you're worried about how she'll be next time, you can try nursing her when they do the poke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My approach to this whole mom thing is survival! lol

    ReplyDelete