Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Daring Bakers January Challenge


This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.

For our January challenge we were tasked to pair the tuiles with something light and fruity. At first, I thought I would use ice cream or some kind of pipped mousse but ultimately decided to do something completely different. I decided fairly early on that I wanted to do a signature cocktail and use the tuiles decoratively but had trouble deciding how it would work. I knew a lot of couples who were engaged over the holidays and thought it would be nice to do a drink/bonbonierre but still didn't have a great idea. 

In the end I did fortune cookies paired with Sparkling Green Tea and Lychee Sangria. I'd like to say "Happy Fat Choi" because the project is Asian inspired and I put it together on Chinese New Year. 

The sangria is lovely, it's from Bonnie Stern's Friday Night Dinners (of course). It calls for Prosecco in place of regular wine, making it bubbly and refreshing. The women in my stroller group who were over that afternoon raved about it. 

The fortunes inside the tuiles are all based on the Ox's characteristics: put in hard work, be patient, beware of herd instinct, be methodical, and know your duty. All are derived from an AsiaOne article.

I found the tuiles batter a bit difficult to spread to make the large circles I needed for the fortune cookies so I cheated and thinned it out a little with vegetable oil. I needed to pat the cookies dry at the end but they turned out as I wanted them to.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Gina! I am sad I didn't get to try it. You'll have to make it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad I missed the sangrias... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortune cookies...now that's something I wouldn't of thought of. And that Sangria, sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete