Thursday, December 18, 2008

Joyeux Noel

The baby and I are at my parent's house for Christmas. Our first night here, I was on the phone with my husband and the doorbell rang. My mom answered the door and I could hear "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" being sung. I went to the door with the phone and my sister followed. On the porch there were 20 or so Junior High-aged girls signing.

When they finished they told us they had one more and sang, "Hark! the Herald Angels Sing". Caroling is almost a lost art. How often is your doorbell rung by a stranger that isn't asking for money for a cause? 

The girls were from the Edmonton Strathcona choir and they were very talented. My husband asked if the singing was coming from the television. It's the first time I've had carolers at the door. The only other time I've seen carolers is along Bloor Street during the holidays. I'm not saying I'll be knocking on doors next year singing but it was very cool.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that!

    In fact, if I found a few people to join me, I would totally go caroling.

    Have a wonderful Christmas Gina & Petra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! We used to go caroling when I was little. It was fun. We should go next Christmas - I'm in Tina! As long as no one minds that I'm a horrible singer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolers don't ring doorbells in Toronto because no one answers the door.

    ReplyDelete