Friday, September 19, 2008

Arrrgggg!

Like many people in Toronto, I park on the street. My driveway is too narrow for my car to pass and the addition at the back of our house means that only a very small car could actually get into the garage. 

In July, my car was keyed from head to toe while parked on the street. At the beginning I was really upset. I felt sick thinking of how much it would cost to fix, arrange for a rental, and get a parking permit for the rental. Then I was angry that some stupid teenager (assumption) would be so nasty. Then I started to justify it - most teenagers just don't have an appreciation for the value of personal property because they haven't had to pay for anything in their lives. So keying a car is the perfect crime for a teenager. The risk is low and the payoff is huge. It's so unlikely that they will get caught and the payoff is looking cool in front of your friends. Eventually I got over the whole thing and I was finally planning to get the body work done on Monday. 

This afternoon, I was leaving the mall and loading Petra into the car and I saw a great, big, black streak on my car. Someone had scrapped my car either entering or exiting the stall next to me. Later I remembered a black SUV had been parked in the next stall at the restaurant I went to for breakfast and it likely happened there. I probably hadn't noticed it at the time because I was parked in the shade. 

Someone, some jerk, hit my car hard enough to make it rock and pulled away without leaving a note. My car was hit by another car owner who is just irresponsible and obnoxious. I hate that. I hate that there is nothing I can do about it too. There's no recourse and no way of finding out who did it. 

Now I'm just hoping my insurance company will cover this new scrape without charging a second deductible. 

3 comments:

  1. Sorry this happened to you, there's always Karma...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just read your story from the Arts Fest. kinda the same thing :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. all told - it was a $2200 bill. good thing we all have insurance. the parking lot ding was my bill since it would have been a separate claim and i would have had to pay a separate deductible. my out of pocket was over $700.

    ReplyDelete