Sunday, February 8, 2009

Childcare

We're starting to think about where Petra will stay during the day when I go back to work in less than three months. I didn't sign up on a daycare waiting list while pregnant like I was supposed to. There are very few that take babies between the ages of 12 and 18 months and it's hard to get them to call you back, the demand for spots in this area is unreal. 

So our options are:
1. Homecare. An agency provided three options for us but all were at least a drive away and none were within walking distance. 
2. Daycare. A brand spanking new daycare is opening nearby but they are asking a whooping $1760 per month and they've already pushed their opening date out by a month. 
3. Friends and family.

Obviously it's great when you can leave your children with a trusted friend or family member but very few of us have that luxury. I could stay home but that's not what I want. My ideal childcare scenario: Petra is somewhere safe where she can just play and have fun all day long. All that for $50/day. Is it possible in my neighbourhood?

8 comments:

  1. Whenever I take on a babysitting gig, I get paid at least $14/15 an hour these days. That's for kids that are not in diapers...

    I wonder what the going rate is for babies. Mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had some encouraging words for you on this one Gina. I lived in complete denial for the first 6 months of Ronan's life and didn't even look for childcare.
    Here in Edmonton the daily rate for a really good non-profit daycare is $65 for 0-19 month olds & $55 for 20 months-3 years. Of course, that's pretty much theoretical as childcare is pretty tough to come by.
    Ronan has been on the waiting list for exactly 2 years and Sonia since 2 months before she was born. We JUST got in a few days ago for 3 days per week.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I think I just discovered my new business venture.

    ...Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhhh. I wish I had a spot for you because I could provide exactly what you are looking for. I will keep you in mind and let you know the moment I get an opening and good luck meanwhile. Stay in touch with Chrisina though as I have been giving her a lot of info and she might be a resource for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, not sure if you made that decision yet, or where you live, but we went the live-in caregiver route, and it's just over $1000 per month and you don't have to pay extra for late pick-up. :) Plus you get the bonus of a clean house, longer hours, maybe some meals - a built-in babysitter and someone who will also teach your child to talk, walk and sing... No worries. We've been using nannies since our baby (now 4) was 9 months old.

    If you are in Canada and have any more questions, drop by my blog and leave me a note. Always willing to offer some help, if possible.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I just realized you are in Toronto too...

    So it's totally an option...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I just sent that daycare an inquiry about pricing. I'm looking for 2 part-time spots in the Fall of '09 -- a total pipe dream, I know. But even if they could accomodate us, there is no way I can earn enough working part-time to justify those prices. Good luck to you. It's hard enough to leave your first baby; you don't need to be stressing about whether they are in the best possible environment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi There,
    I stumbled on your blog through Junction Parents, and really liked the title! My name is Julie- mom to Levon (almost 4) and Eila (15 months). Currently I look after another little one, but sadly she'll be dropping down to part-time around July as her mom is having her second child. My rate is $50/day and that is inclusive of meals and snacks. We are out every day, be it at the Early Years Centres, parks, walks, adventures, etc. If you are at all interested you can email me at lunachick1976@hotmail.com Prior to my homecare, I ran another homecare with a friend out of her home before my daughter was born, so I have many references. Hope your search is going well. Regards,
    Julie Coleman

    ReplyDelete