Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sibling Rivalry

If my parents have a favourite among my siblings, they're very good at hiding it. I've always thought we were favourites for different reasons, none of which make us better than another. I'm the striver. My sister who is just a year younger than me is beautiful, caring and the most thoughtful of us. My baby sister is... well... the baby which is always a shoe-in for favs. She's also very creative, pretty, smart, determined and loving. Together we are our parent's pride. 

There are definitely families that play favourites though. This month's Today's Parent has an article about the topic. It says that playing favourites can be detrimental to your children's relationships with each other. It also touches on the effects on the children as they're growing up and as adults, some of it is pretty interesting. 

While I like the article, it becomes fairly patronizing when it gives tips for being more equitable. I think it's important for children to feel loved. It's our job to do that. I don't think any child will grow up scarred if they know there are qualities their parents adore in a sibling.

No comments:

Post a Comment